- 3/4 cup 150g white rice , rinsed and drained
- 1 1/2 cups 360ml water
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 lime juiced (1 Tbsp or 15ml)
- 1/4 cup 15g fresh cilantro, chopped
- 4 small red potatoes*
- 1/2 red onion 55g
- 1 –2 Tbsp 14-28g vegan butter (or 15-30ml olive oil)
- 1/4 tsp each sea salt and black pepper
- BLACK BEANS
- 1 cup 185g cooked black beans (if unsalted, add 1/4 tsp salt)
- 1/4 tsp each ground cumin garlic powder , and chili powder
- 1/4 ripe avocado
- 1 lime juiced (2 Tbsp or 30ml)
- 1 cup 89g purple cabbage, green cabbage, or radish, thinly sliced
- 1 14g jalapeno, seeds removed, thinly sliced
- Pinch each of sea salt and black pepper
- 2 large vegan flour tortillas white or wheat, to your preference
- 1/2 ripe avocado sliced
- 1/4 cup 64g salsa
- Hot sauce optional
Start by adding the rice, water, and salt to a saucepan and bringing it to a boil. Once boiling, reduce the heat to low, cover, and simmer for 15-20 minutes or until all of the water is absorbed and the rice is fluffy. Remove from the heat and set aside.
As the rice is cooking, heat a large metal or cast-iron skillet over medium heat. Wash and chop potatoes into bite-size pieces.* Slice the onion into 1/4-inch rings.
Once the skillet is hot, add the vegan butter. Swirl to coat. Add the potatoes to one half of the pan and the onions to the remaining half. Season with the salt and pepper, cover, and let cook for 4-5 minutes on one side. Then flip/toss to brown on the other side for 4-5 minutes, or until golden brown. Remove from the heat and set aside.
Add the beans to a small saucepan over medium heat and season with the cumin, garlic power, and chili powder. When bubbly, reduce the heat to low to keep warm.
To make the slaw, mash together the avocado and lime juice, then add the cabbage and jalapeno and toss to combine. Season with a pinch of salt and set aside.
To the cooked rice, add the lime juice and cilantro. Toss with a fork to combine.
To soften the tortillas, wrap in a damp towel and warm in the microwave for 30 seconds, (or in a 350 degree F oven (176 degrees C) for 1-2 minutes.
Add the fillings in any order, followed by sliced avocado and salsa (or hot sauce, if desired). Roll up, slice in half, and enjoy. Serve any extra potatoes, black beans, or rice on the side.
I did not use the vegan butter or oil to cook the potatoes but instead sautéed with veggie broth, constantly mixing so they didn't stick. I also used brown rice because that is what we have at home. I did not have a jalapeño pepper for the slaw, but I did have some cherry bomb peppers, so I used those instead because I loved the idea of some heat in mine